How to Throw the Best Viewing Party
As an ultimate fan of the Bachelor and Bachelorette franchise (I have watched every episode since the show’s inception), one of my favorite things to do during the season is to get my girlfriends together and watch the show. Here are my top five tips for throwing the most dramatic viewing party in Bachelor/Bachelorette history. By Rachel Robertson
- Nicknames Are Key Especially early on, it’s hard to tell the contestants apart and remember who is who. I recommend you and your friends come up with little nicknames or phrases for each person that remind you of what they do (free spirit, cruise ship entertainer, I’m a model!), what was unique about them (horse girl, girl with two kids, guy on the skateboard), or when necessary, notable fashion mistakes (too spray-tanned girl, bad-weave girl, guy with the ascot).
- Create Some Friendly Competetion I recommend a drinking game in which each person drinks at certain words (rose, drama, house, date, love) or when certain inevitable things happen (like when a contestant suddenly seems to realize that he or she is not the only person dating the Bachelor/Bachelorette and gets upset-hello, don’t these people know what the show is about before they go in it?). Another idea is creating a bracket and getting some friendly wagers going on who will go home on a certain episode or who the ultimate winner will be!
- Set Some Ground Rules With a room full of women, it is quite possible someone will want to talk throughout the entire show. I had to set some ground rules with my friends, especially when Courtney was on. Example: no talking between commercial breaks, unless we paused the show! Another boundary to decide on is whether or not you want to hear spoilers. Like it or not, and accurate or not, Reality Steve is out there and some people may want to tell you exactly what he says happened. I personally prefer the element of surprise, as it makes the whole experience more interesting.
- Roses, Hot Tubs, and Some Other Ambience Ideas While you don’t want to creep out your friends by creating a Fantasy Suite, it is fun to incorporate some Bachelor-related decorations or settings into your viewing party. When Courtney was on the show, my girflriends and I created a foam board where we had pictures of each of the girls and we would remove them one by one as they were sent home. Or you can never have too many roses or bottles of champagne at a viewing party. And, of course, if you can host a viewing party in a hot tub, all the more power to you, girl!
- Use Your DVR to Your Advantage I can’t tell you how many times we have watched the preview for upcoming episodes of The Bachelor, and particularly the final episode, in slow motion, with frequent rewinds. It is incredibly fun to try to piece together the tine details to predict who is getting the finale rose, and who will be crying in the back of the limo.